Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Poem that changed us all

A day before my Dad's cremation, we found this poem he wrote in his journal. What gave us goosebumps was the fact that the poem was written same day as we found it, only 15 years earlier, 25 November 1994. Even after life, ang galing pa din nya. I guess he found a way to lead my mom to read this particular journal out of the dozens of other notebooks.

Here goes...


November 25, 1994

Some days ago, I ceased to be. . . And today…

Let the bands play
Let the music fill the air!
Shout to the sky.
Be happy, be aware.

That I shall now
Be leaving earth
To fulfill the
Promises of my birth.

Stop the crying
Start the laughter
Some lives sans me
Will now be better.

Scatter my dust
Along with the wind
Let it afloat.
My life rescind.

Let every speck
Strike out a tune,
So birds, bees, plants, trees
Will know – it’s Jun.

To those whose lives
I’ve deeply touched, somehow
Keep my few words
For I’ll be gone for now.

To those whose lives
I’ve brought deep sorrow,
Apololgies, please.
Here comes tomorrow.

To all my kids,
Wherever you are,
With pride pursue
That guiding star.

The vow I leave
Behind today…
Even beyond
For you I pray.

Always do good…
Be ever selfless…
With care and love
Your Ma caress.

Adhere to the truth,
You’ll never go wrong.
Keep God in your heart
You’ll always be strong.

With these I depart…
I do not want to cry,
I am dust remember,
So this is not goodbye.

So long… till then…
To one and all please smile,
I have to go. I will be back
But it will be a while.

It is my wish that this be read before my loved ones before I am cremated. They are sincere words which I want to impart. They contain my apologies, my feelings and my desires.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really brilliant. though it has deeply sadness in my heart while reading this.. but at the back of my mind it was all reality. i heart this poem of you dad Mamsicle. i admire how he wrote this ; and knew all along that this will gnna happen... amazing- Ana Banana